PE and Sport play a very important part in the life of our school. We believe that exercise and sport contribute to the holistic development of young people and, through participation in sport and physical education, young people learn more about key values such as teamwork, fair play and respect for themselves and others.
There is significant evidence to show the positive effects of sport and exercise on children’s physical health, growth and development. Furthermore, sport also provides a healthy environment within which young people can learn how to deal with competition and how to cope with both winning and losing.
Since 2013, the Government has provided 'Sport Premium' funding, specifically aimed at improving the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision in all schools.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE in order to ensure sustainability
- New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
- Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for PE/sport
- Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and residential visits
For further details on the PE and sport premium for primary schools, please visit the Government website:
We are using the Sport Premium to improve the quality of PE and Sport provision in the following ways:
- We use the funding to support regular sport tournaments, festivals and competitions for pupils of all ages. This year we have joined our Local Sports Partnership which has given our pupils the opportunity to participate in a range of sporting activities and competitions including balance bike training, multi sports
- We invest in high-quality visiting sports coaches to run clubs, competitions, and to increase pupils’ participation in in-school and inter-school games competitions. We provide after-school sport clubs, perhaps in sports that the children would not usually have access to.
- We work with Tom Burke Academy, a local company providing high-quality coaching in a range of sports.
- Our Gymnastics and dance Clubs are super fun - the children who attend now have the opportunity to take part in competitions and festivals at our local leisure centre
- We already have several Sports Clubs, led on a voluntary basis by our own staff:
- Football Club with Mr Watson and Mr Williams
- Our Key Stage 2 children swim every week at Eston Sports Centre. We greatly value this, because not only does it provide us with access to high-quality swimming facilities but teaches children a vital life skill.
Click below to download latest information: